Parallels 9: The virtual machine cannot be started.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by CoreyW, Sep 5, 2013.

1. CoreyW

CoreyW Junior Member

None of my Mac OS X VM's (Lion, ML, ML 10.8.4) will run under the latest version of P9, this is the error that I get:

The virtual machine cannot be started.
    Mac OS virtual machines can run only on computers having Mac OS X Leopard (version 10.5.1 or higher) or Mac OS X Tiger (version 10.4.11 or higher) installed.

Problem ID: 397

Any help?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

What kind of Mac are you running Parallels on? What OS's do you have installed?

3. CoreyW

CoreyW Junior Member

Mid 2010 Mac Pro on the latest and greatest ML 10.8.4. (sorry, I can't believe I left that out of my original post)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Do you have Mac OS X Leopard (version 10.5.1 or higher) or Mac OS X Tiger (version 10.4.11 or higher) installed on a partition? I don't remember that being a requirement before, but I've always had every OS on my Mac Pro.

5. CoreyW

CoreyW Junior Member

Thanks for your help. No, I started with Lion.

Btw, this all worked fine with version 8...

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

My Lion virtual machine works without problem. I wonder if your parallels log will tell you why it doesn't like your virtual machine. First close all windows and virtual machines in Parallels Desktop so that they are not adding messages to the log file. Then open the Virtual Machines List window.

There are two parallels.log files to look at:

1) The first is at /Library/Logs/parallels.log. This one is used all the time.
    2) There's a parallels.log file in the virtual machine .pvm folder. This one gets used after the virtual machine starts.

Open both of those log files in Console.app. Press Command-K to hide earlier log messages.
    Note the current time with seconds (show the time with seconds in the menu bar if that helps).
    Start the virtual machine by clicking the Power button of the virtual machine in the Virtual Machines List window.

First you'll see messages in the /Library/Logs/parallels.log file. When the error message appears, copy the log messages from the time you noted earlier to the current time and paste the results in TextEdit (use Plain Text mode). If the virtual machine started, then you should also see messages in the virtual machine's parallels.log file.

Look at the log messages and see if you can figure out what Parallels is looking for.