Parallels 8 Causing Problems with Windows Printer

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TobyT, Sep 5, 2013.

1. TobyT

TobyT Hunter

I've used Parallels since 2009 and haven't had any problems within the last year or so with my printer. After upgrading from v6 to v8 several days ago, I am unable to print any of my carefully-formatted documents from WordPerfect X3. Here's what I think is happening: Parallels 8 seems to be using print drivers for HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS which do NOT WORK for my Brother HL-5370DW printer. Never mind that the Brother is set as the default printer or that I've unchecked "Synchronize printers" on the Configure VM screen (there are almost no options for me . . . which is causing me to doubt the wisdom of updating Parallels at all!).

I've checked every setting and nothing fixes this problem. I refreshed the Printer Engine thinking the problem was with WordPerfect. It is not. The problem rests with the new Parallels interface which is trying to force the wrong settings onto my documents. As a result, a page formatted for A5-size paper with a 0.4 inch top margin actually starts printing halfway down the page with most of the left-side of the document not visible. This is unacceptable.

I'm running Windows XP PRO which will NEVER be updated to a newer version of Windows. Not now; not ever. All I need Parallels 8 to do is to work with what I've got as well as version 6 did so I can run my legacy Windows software. The only reason I upgraded was so I wouldn't lose technical support. Not for any other reason. Everything had been working perfectly prior to this upgrade.

Can anyone help?
    TobyT

2. TobyT

TobyT Hunter

Parallels 8 will not work with Brother Printer Drivers

I need to add that when I forced the printer drivers back to the Brother, the file would not print at all! This is driving me nuts.

3. raysto

raysto Bit poster

I have had similar problems with printing in parallels 8. I have to save Word documents as PDF and print them from the mac instead. This is a laborious way of having to do things and I can find no explanation about the cause or remedy. Is it Windows or is it Parallels?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. TobyT

TobyT Hunter

We discovered after I'd posted that we couldn't print out of any Windows software period. I finally managed to locate the fix, but it was buried on this site. I learned this is a known issue with Parallels. To fix it, do the following procedure:
    1. Use the dropdown menus to go to Virtual Machine\Configure\Hardware\Print
    2. Uncheck the "Add all the Mac printers" box
    3. Start the virtual machine and make certain your preferred default printer is set up as the default. The driver should be there; if not, install it.
    4. That's all it takes. I've made the change to all three of my Parallels-running Macs with Windows Guest VMs.
    Regards,
    TobyT