parallels 7 running bootcamp extremely slow

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by chau, Sep 22, 2011.

1. chau

chau Bit poster

Im running my bootcamp partition with parallels 7 but it is extremely slow. everything just freezes up. I've tried making the memory 2GB but that doesn't help at all. What are some steps i can take to improve the speed?

Im using a Mac Mini 2011, with 8GB of RAM

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

What OS is running in the virtual machine?

8 GB on your Mac should be plenty enough RAM to run any guess OS comfortably. You could set the guess OS as high as 4 GB and not have much slow down on the Mac side.

Check the Mac's Activity Monitor.app for processes that might be using lots of CPU or disk usage.

Check the guest OS's Windows Task Manager (if you're using Windows) or whatever for the same on the guest side.

3. chau

chau Bit poster

hi joevt,
    im trying to run windows 7 64-bit, if i run a non-bootcamp windows 7 in the virtual machine everything is smooth. Also the mac side is running fine its just the windows side that is slow even though there are only the default processes running

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

How much slower? Does booting your Mac into Boot Camp behave normally?

I've never had a slow down with using a Boot Camp partition (I have about 6 of them).

The Windows Task Manager doesn't show anything unusual?

There may be some information in the log file in the virtual machine's .pvm package.