Parallels 6 won't work after os x 10.9.5 installation

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Alex_Tidd, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Alex_Tidd

Alex_Tidd Bit poster

I have MBA 13" circa 2011 with a 1.7 ghz intel core i5 and 4GB of memory. I was running parallels 6 with windows 7 successfully, however after an upgrading to os x 10.9.5 maverick I cannot open parallels. What are my options? To upgrade to parallels 10, can you do this straight from 6? Or is a 7/8 version of parallels supported by this operating system? Or will I have to remove 6 completely thus having to reinstall parallels 10 and the operating system? Or will my old data and operating system be there if I just pay the cash and upgrade online?

Can anyone recommend the best way forward? Thanks in advance.

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello Alex_Tidd,
    Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.9.5. Parallels Desktop 9 with the latest build 9.0.24251 and Parallels Desktop 10 are compatible with Mac OS X 10.9.5.
    Upgrade to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is only supported from the following versions:
    • Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac
    • Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac Upgrade
    • Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac
    • Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Upgrade
    If your previous version is Parallels Desktop 7 or earlier, you should buy a full license of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.
    Removing or un-installing Parallels Desktop 6 doesn't affect your Virtual Machine. The Virtual Machine files ( .pvm file ) including the virtual hard disk (.hdd ) will still be there without any change on your Mac. The .pvm file ( Parallels Virtual Machine file ) will not be removed automatically until you remove it manually from your Mac.
    The default location of the .pvm file will be in ~ Documents/Parallels folder > .pvm or in /Users/Shared/Parallels folder > .pvm

Please let us know if you have any questions, we are here to help you.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. sarookha

sarookha Bit poster

I have Parallels 9.0, and it's not working either now that I've upgraded my Mac to OSX 10.9.5. Apparently I didn't have the latest build of 9.0? How can I refresh my Parallels Desktop to 9.0.24251? Or is this a marketing scheme to force us all to upgrade to 10.0?

4. Jean-Claude_DUFORMENTELLE

Jean-Claude_DUFORMENTELLE Bit poster

It's impossible to download the latest build of Parallels Desktop 9 from here. The file is not good.

5. Mark_Dowling

Mark_Dowling Bit poster

@sarookha I had the same problem. I downloaded the 9.0.24251 software from support, installed it, and Parallels came up straight away. No muss, no fuss. No settings or content lost, either.

6. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

7. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi Mark_Dowling,
    We are glad that your Parallels Desktop 9 works fine on Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks after updating to the latest build (9.0.24251).
    Let us know if you have any questions.