Parallels 6 for Mac/WinXP frozen in screensaver

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by J.R.W, Jul 7, 2011.

1. J.R.W

J.R.W Bit poster

When I came into my office this morning, my three Mac Spaces were running fine, but the Space assigned to Parallels 6, running WinXP Pro SP3, was frozen in the screensaver. I tried everything, but couldn't break it. I tried to close XP, close Parallels, reboot the iMac, reset Windows (big mistake - the frozen screensaver screen was still there, but the Parallels icon in the Dock suddenly had a rotating red starburst or something over it that would not quit - and when I tried to do anything else, I got a message saying I couldn't because Windows was in reset mode).

I found a thread from 2009 with a similar problem (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=88632) re a Parallels 4 installation. The advice was to open the Parallels folder in Finder, right click on the .pvm file (WinXP.pvm in my case) and delete all files with .mem and .sav extensions. There were no .sav files, but there was one .mem - {8a43d85c-2af5-4544-ba24-4ffcf98b20a4}.mem. When I clicked to move it to the Trash, a "Preparing to move" window opened, with a horizontal B&W barber pole spinning. And spinning. And spinning. That was about 30 minutes ago - and it's still "spinning' in preparation mode.

I use Parallels because I have some vital Windows programs that do not have Mac versions (Word Perfect, InfoSelect, Quicken Home and Business - which apparently did have a Mac version until the year I switched to Mac). Without these programs, my business is dead. It is especially frustrating today, because I have multiple deadlines due NOW.

Technicals: 27" iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (with 4GB assigned to Parallels), 1TB internal hard drive (with 100GB assigned to Parallels). Running Parallels Desktop for Mac, Build 6.0.12092 (Revision 670880; June 26, 2011)

Please help.

Thanks,
    J.R.