Parallels 15 with High Sierra on Catalina: 32-bit game doesn't run

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MartinS38, Jun 6, 2020.

1. MartinS38

MartinS38 Bit poster

I have a new MacBook with Catalina and wanted to run an old 32-bit game. I created a virtual machine with High Sierra in Parallels 15, but when I start the game I get the error message "Unable to detect a RAVE compatible 3D accelerator", see attached screen shot. Any idea what I can do? On my old laptop with High Sierra the game runs without problems.

Attached Files:

2. MartinS38

MartinS38 Bit poster

I found the explanation in another thread. Apparently, when you use macOS X as a virtual machine it runs like macOS X in safe mode and 3D Acceleration does not work. Indeed, I checked this by booting my old laptop (with High Sierra) in safe mode and I got exactly the same error message
    when I started the app. Is there any way around this or does this mean that I cannot use Parallels to run this old app.

3. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I'd suspect the only way that might work, is to run Windows instead of a Mac OS.
    This has direct X support, so the game should run. The Steam subscription supports operation on Windows as well as the Mac.
    The Windows VM is a lot more 'capable' than the Mac VM. I run a couple of 32 bit cad applications that use Direct 3D, and they merrily run in a Windows VM.
    Also Windows still supports 32bit applications.

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Worth also adding that you can install a Windows VM, without a license key and though some of the 'customisations' won't be allowed, the OS itself still runs fine.

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

When you use macOS as VM it runs as macOS in safe mode so 3D acceleration is disabled.

6. MartinS38

MartinS38 Bit poster

I installed a Windows VM and the game runs on it without problems. Many thanks for your help.
    Martin

Maria@Parallels likes this.