Parallels 15 on catalina, Mojave Guest OS, cannot resize disk -solution!

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by WarrenH3, Dec 25, 2019.

1. WarrenH3

WarrenH3 Bit poster

Here's the issue - I see some threads about this but no answer:
    I want to install mojave as a VM to run 32 bit apps. I want to to migration assistant but the VM disk is too small, at 64 GB. So I need a bigger VM. Here's what I tried and failed:
    1) Resize the drive in parallels. The Mojave VM doesnt change. One thread states that resize doesnt work for non-windows OS. great...
    2) Next I try to make the size bigger at the install by customizing the settings before installation by selecting a larger disk size. I choose properties with a larger disk size and that fails during the install because the install disk only shows 68GB, not the larger size. In addition, the install of Mojave now fails due to an error.
    3) I go into diskutil in the VM and erase the disk MacIntosh HD. Exit diskutil
    4) Now install OS. The installer NOW recognizes the larger disk size AND the install of Mojave proceeeds!!
    Seems to work now!!! Why cant Parallels support provide simple answers?????

2. WarrenH3

WarrenH3 Bit poster

Here is part 2, partial solution to why I want to run mojave. Like many others, I have a Fujitsu scansnap S1500M that uses a 32bit Scansnap application that no longer works in catalina. The new Fujitsu scanners are not as simple to use and the old ones are great. So here is a partial solution to scan into Evernote.
    1) Run Mojave as a VM as above. Connect up the scanner thru USB and use parallels to connect the scanner to the VM. Scansnap recognizes the scanner.
    2) Scan the pages as usual, and if yo choose evernote doc as the usual option, it will save it to evernote. Evernote then synchonizes to teh cloud your new scan in the VM.
    3) In Catalina, evernote then syncs with the evernote in the VM, and your file appears! You can move it to a local file, sync and the file dissappears from the cloud.
    4) But this only works for few scans in a free account, or you need an evernote subscription. I also dont like sending a file to the cloud if I dont have t.
    5) I am working now to figure out how to do do a hard link in Mojave VM so it uses the evernote database in my Catalina account and not the one in the Mojave VM. I tried aliases and that doesnt work. I hear that a symbolic link wont work because the Mojave install changes the format from HFS+ to APFS and breaks symbolic links... But at least I have a partial solution that does not require me to throw away my scanner. (BTW, I tried vuescan and exactscan and neither are as good as scansnap.)