Parallels 10 - Mavericks from bootable USB

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Ryan_Alford, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Ryan_Alford

Ryan_Alford Bit poster

I'm trying to install Mavericks as a guest OS in a VM with Parallels 10. As a developer, I need to have a VM to install beta versions of the iOS SDK.

When I try to add a new VM by clicking the "+" button, I only get 4 options under "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file" under "Free Systems": Modern.IE, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, Android. I have a bootable USB for Mavericks that I'd like to but can't get it to work. I have tried going through the wizard and choosing "Connect a bootable USB drive to your Mac" and Find Automatically, but it never finds anything. I've tried "Continue without a source", but when the VM boots, it never boots from the USB drive.

How can I get my bootable USB drive to install Mavericks on a VM?

2. mmika

mmika Pro

Hello Ryan.
    You need to go to VM configuration editor and change boot sequence there.
    Make the external USB device a first boot device, and make sure that proper external device specified.
    Another way is to check "select boot device" item, then start the VM and press e key to enter to EFI shell, got to "Boot Manager" menu and choose appropriate item. If USB stick contain a bootable image there should be
    an option.