OS X 10.10.3 Recovery Partition Installation Fails - Circle Slash

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by dwmreg, Apr 28, 2015.

1. dwmreg

dwmreg Bit poster

I'm trying to install a Yosemite VM today on a latest model Mac Mini.
    OS X Host 10.10.3
    Parallels 10.2.0 (28956)
    I go to File New and select OS in the "Free Systems" - "Install OS X Using the Recovery Partition" and
    the process starts...runs for a few minutes until I get a solid black screen displaying a white circle with
    a white slash through it. This is the point where nothing else appears to be happening after waiting a
    reasonable amount of time before I force the VM to shut down. Prior to this graphic displaying I do
    see the white Apple logo with meter underneath it showing OS X is booting.
    Anyone else see this? Is there a fix?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  3. DavidS5

DavidS5 Bit poster

This turned out to be a TRIM related issue for me. I was trying to create a new VM by restoring a Time Machine backup from an old computer that had a third party SSD installed and TRIM was enabled. To resolve the issue, I disabled TRIM on the physical computer, did a new Time Machine backup, then used the new backup to restore to the new VM. Here's an article about why TRIM didn't work this way with Yosemite...

https://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Hope this helps.

David

4. PatrickC1

PatrickC1 Bit poster

I have the same issue as dwmreg, new mac mini (Late 2014) With fusion drive and OS X 10.10.3.
    Almost the only thing i have on that client is parallels just installed.
    I have selected "Free Systems" - "Install OS X Using the Recovery Partition".
    It runs for a few minutes until I get a solid black screen displaying a white circle with a white slash through it.
    My my colleague has the exact same setup and gets the same black screen with a white circle with a white slash through it.

5. asoehn

asoehn Junior Member

Same issue here. I am using Parallels 11.01 on 5k iMac with fusion drive and try to create a 10.10.5 VM. Reinstalling Parallels does not help. No third party trim installed.