OPENSTEP or NEXTSTEP under Parallels 5?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by GerbenW, Jan 30, 2010.

1. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

Is there a recipe somewhere to get OPENSTEP or NEXTSTEP running under Paralleles 5? What do people do with the floppies? Are there images that can be downloaded somewhere? Or do i have to fire up the old NeXT and dd the floppies to images for use under Parallels?

2. jlorre

jlorre Bit poster

Hi Gerben,
    1. you can download the images from the bootfloppies and such from http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/MultiCountry/Enterprise/
    2. On OSX 10.6.3 you can make an ISO image from the NeXTSTEP 3.3 intel CDROM as follows
    - insert disk
    - click "ignore" on "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
    - open /Applications/Utilities/Disk.app and look what device the CDROM has in your machine, e.g. "disk2s0"
    - open a terminal, log in as root and create an ISO imagefile by
    dd if=/dev/disk2s0 of=/tmp/NS33_intel.iso bs=512b
    You can then connect this image to the CD/DVD-device of parallels

I got NeXTSTEP 3.3 intel working without problems on parallels 5.0.9344
    I don't know if it was necessary, but i used the 3.3 the beta-drivers e.g. [IDEDISK DUALEIDE ATAPICONTROLLER 3.35]
    I have'nt had time yet to document the procedure, but no special magic is needed. Let me know if you need more help.
    BTW, was it from you that I bought a 4.2 Postgress port on 17 okt 1994 for NeXTSTEP 3.3 ?

3. jlorre

jlorre Bit poster

>Or do i have to fire up the old NeXT and dd the floppies to images for use under Parallels?
    BTW: I could dd 1.44 MB floppies right on my mac (in a Iomega USB floppydrive)
    but to image the 2.8/4 MB floppies you'll need a 4MB-compatible floppydrive or indeed use the NeXT.

4. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

Thanks a lot jlorre

Thanks a lot! I'll test this asap.

I have bene looking around for a Mac-compatible 2.88MB USB floppy drive but I haven't found any. Does such a beast exist at all?

Gerben

BTW. Yes, it was probably from me that you bought that Postgres port.