Openstep 4.2 and Parallels 4 - can't boot

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by CH-Fels, Sep 9, 2009.

1. CH-Fels

CH-Fels Bit poster

I'm trying to get Openstep 4.2 User up and running on my Parallels 4-equipped blackbook.

The OS installation seemed to go OK, but fails to boot with this message:

"Load of /etc/mach_init, errno 14, trying /etc/init
    Load of /etc/init failed, errno 14"

I have set the CPU flag "kernel.hvt_support=0"
    and also tried
    devices.acpi=0 - to disable ACPI
    devices.apm.enable=0 - to disable apm

But the latter made no difference.

I wanted to edit the .pvs file to change "<EnableVTxSupport>1</EnableVTxSupport>" to "<EnableVTxSupport>0</EnableVTxSupport>", but I have no pvs file!. There's no directory in user/Library/Parallels for Openstep, nor any pvs, as there is for my WinXP virtual machine. But I doubt that being able to edit a pvs file would help - presumably not, since Parallels hasn't even gotten to the point of creating one yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    CH

2. kahamel

kahamel Bit poster

pvs location

Ch: The pvs file is inside the .pvm container -- right-click [ or control-clck ] the openstep.pvm (or whatever you called it) and select the Show Package Contents menu...

I am still trying to get my OpenStep configured as well -- I can boot in Default mode -- but not with other drivers yet..

- Keith

3. CH-Fels

CH-Fels Bit poster

kahamel, thanks for the pointer. Now I've edited the pvs config file, but it didn't make any difference, the boot freezes at the same place.

Maybe you can help me get a bit farther: when I try to boot with the flag config=default, Openstep says it can't find the file /private/Drivers/i386/System.config/default.table, and I can't get Parallels Explorer to open up the virtual hd for me - either PE can't mount a next-style drive, or something's corrupted . . . any ideas appreciated.

CH
    CH

4. CH-Fels

CH-Fels Bit poster

New problem - disk size

Hi everyone/anyone!

I decided to try a fresh install, and play with various hard disk sizes and options. Using a fixed disk with 2G sized chunks, I've gotten past the earlier problem, and Openstep is 90% installed. I got to the Config.app stage, told it to use default VGA, and it continued merrily, leading to a step I didn't expect: I've got an "Install NEXTSTEP" window in gray-on-gray (but GUI), asking me what components to install. I can't seem to select anything but the already-checked NextStep Essentials. When I click to Install, it opens a Build dialog, telling me the disk isn't big enough to install, and it will use a swap-disk instead. (False, since the HDD is 4Gig total, and OS should be able to see at least 2G). I tell it to go ahead anyway, and it returns me to the Install NEXTSTEP window. Rinse & repeat.

Any ideas?

CH-Fels