No Support... Drag&Drop, Sharing, Network not working...

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PrioMobi, Aug 27, 2013.

1. PrioMobi

PrioMobi Bit poster

Hi,

First of all:
    The "Support" offered by Parallels is the most inconvenient, cumbersome and stupid service I ever encounter. I just switched from VM Ware and just installed Parallels 8 on my Mac 10.8. and created a VM with Mac 10.7 as guest OS. Everything works fine except sharing files between the host and the guest OS.

I have been searching for a solution for this simple task for over an hour but was not able to find any help. I though: "Hey, just contact the Parallels support. Great, they offer a support chart! I am sure we will be able to solve the problem within a few minutes..."

Oh, I need a support code? What is that? Register my licence, no problem. Done. Where is my Code? The help shows a completely different user account menu than the real menu. No support code in my menu... Ok, the Code should be shown in the app it selfe. Not the app just shows "register your licence"... Ok, register my licence. Oh, it says the license is already registered... Supportcode in my user account. NO THERE IS NO CODE.

I would like to ask someone where my is. Oh, wait... I need the support code to get support... What a f***** Great service. Really!

The Problem:
    Mac mid 2013, Mac OS 10.8.4
    Parallels 8.0.18608

Guest System: Mac OS 10.7.5
    Parallels Tools installed on guest system

Files/text/data cannot be copied between host and guest OS by drag&drop, copy&past or Network. Also the network connection of the guest OS workes fine (mail, safari, etc. no problem) I am not able to find the shared folders the host OS in the guest OS network or vice versa.

Already tried to reinstall Parallels Tools. No effect. Please advice... Please do not ask for my support code...

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Click on "Technical Support" at the top of your Account page, you are taken to a page that has, among other things, your support code written in red.

3. PrioMobi

PrioMobi Bit poster

I did this several times but the page just showed the registered license and a field to register other licenses. However now the pages also includes the magic support key. Hura...

4. raysto

raysto Bit poster

As a relative newbie to the support pages, i think they could be better designed. It appeared to me earlier tonight that the company would prefer you to pay for help and it is not made clear enough that email support is free. I was prompted to pay for chat support, after having to sign in and then find and add a "support code". My parallels 8 for mac has started malfunctioning, giving me printing problems and a problem and an unexpected password request at Vista start-up, plus i seem to have lost the drag and drop files onto the mac desktop function. The nearest knowledgebase was not easy to find at all and not actually close enough to solve the issue.

I think the ease of access to support from Parallels could be improved. The text is too small and there are too many menus jumping out at you with an accidental mouse-roll-over and a rather intrusive feedback notice. It all feels robotic and distant, apart from the forum. I was timed out of these support pages after a relatively short amount of time just now, another unnecessary hurdle.

The large button urging me to "pay for support" and the lack of a clear signpost to free support was a big offput for me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  5. lotw

lotw Product Expert

This sort of happens to me once in a while with my NAS, the shared dont show on my real Mac. To fix that I make sure finder is active, go to top bar and select, Go, connect to server. Then type in the "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" The xxx is the IP address of the machine you want to connect to. If shares exist, username password box will appear, enter that for the machine that has the shares on it and it will connect and show available shares.