New Virtual OS X Yosemite, now iCloud services won't work

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by tch999, Feb 26, 2015.

1. tch999

tch999 Bit poster

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone has had any experience similar to mine today...
    I wanted to come up with a way of putting content onto a small number of company iPads that didn't interfere with my own personal iTunes/iPhoto collection. Rather than create a new User on my MacBook, I decided I'd use Parallels to make an OS X Yosemite virtual machine (using the Recovery Partition as it gives the option to in the Control Center). Then using this virtual machine, I'd be able to sync content to the iPads within it's own iTunes and iPhoto library. Sounded like the most seamless way of doing it to me...

However, peculiarly at the same time as I setup this Virtual Machine, my normal OS X iMessage stopped working on my MacBook. It wouldn't send or receive iMessages, and Text Message Forwarding from my iPhone also stopped. I thought it was odd as I'd not even used the same Apple ID when setting up the Virtual Machine, so why should it effect it? My guessing now is that the Apple ID somehow links to the Serial number of the MacBook and what with both OS X's having the same Serial Number, has this created a conflict somewhere?

I've been on the phone to Apple Support today for a few hours but it's really stumped them. We've turned off and on iCloud numerous times, but it's never triggered iMessage to come back on. They're going away and looking at my case but won't give me a call back until Saturday afternoon. In the mean time I've now got an OS X machine with very limited iCloud functionality.

Has anyone done the same and suffered a similar fate or got any ideas?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

3. tch999

tch999 Bit poster

I had tried using Configurator before but didn't feel it was right for what I wanted to do. I'm only distributing to two iPads and crucially it's about matching the Photo, Music and Video libraries up with content as opposed to putting apps and setting up users.