Mountain Lion host, Mountain Lion guest not working

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ShirleyL, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ShirleyL

ShirleyL Bit poster

Getting the "Virtual machine cannot be started" and the solution in the knowledge base is unhelpful with info about limitations on licensing, installation only on server, etc. ML license allows 2 copies to be run in a virtual environment. This is with the trial version of Parallels Desktop, if that matters.

My Mac is a Mid 2011 iMac with Mountain Lion 10.8.2. It is a server, version Version 2.1.0 (127.18) of server (server on Mountain Lion is simply an app, not a separate OS install). I would like to compare Parallels Desktop with VMWare Fusion...I was able to set up VM's with VMWare, no such luck with Parallels. Is there some trick I am missing?

2. BernardK

BernardK Member

I have a recent MacBook Pro Retina with OS X Mountain Lion pre-installed. I spent the last two weeks comparing VMware Fusion 5 and Parallels Desktop 8, creating various VMs for OS X, Windows XP, 7, Linux, and migrating a PC. No problem with OS X, just don't forget to install the tools manually if they are not. If not installed, you can resize only in diagonal.