Mojave VM Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_INVALID_PATH

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by LeonardW1, Nov 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LeonardW1

LeonardW1 Bit poster

When launching my macOS Mojave virtual machine, under Parallels Desktop for Mac 17.1, I get this error message:
    PRL_ERR_DISK_INVALID_PATH
    My only use of Mojave, is to run an old 32 bit app, that won't be updated. The portion of the App, that I use, seems to run normally. My main OS, on my Intel processor based Mac, is Catalina. I had a test Volume of Big Sur running, and had Parallels installed on it, for a short time. Now, I have reformatted that volume, and have a test Volume of Monterey. Still, getting that Error. What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

2. BradE4

BradE4 Bit poster

LeonardW1,
    I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

3. GregH11

GregH11 Bit poster

I had been getting this error also, and just resolved it. Go to your Parallels folder and locate the virtual machine name your are having problems with, for example myos.pvm. If using MacOS Control click on myos.pvm and select "Show Package Contents." Open the config.pvs file with text edit application. Search for instances of hdd. In my case I had an invalid file path at <Hdd dyn_lists="Partition 0" id="1"> next to <SystemName>. You could make a copy of config.pvs and probably just correct the path in the text editor, but the easier way is to use the Parallels Control Center's configuration editor for the OS with the problem. Go into the Hardware panel and select Hard Disk 1 (or Hard Disk 2, depending on where the file path error is). In the "Source" drop down, select "Disconnect." Then select "Choose an image file..." and navigate to the .hdd file in your .pvm file (from example above: myos.pvm). This remapping will correct the file path and eliminate the ...INVALID_PATH error.

4. BradE4

BradE4 Bit poster

GregH11,
    Thanks for the pointers. In my case, Hard Disk 2 just pointing to the wrong place, there was no second hdd. I tried leaving Hard Disk 2 disconnected, but that didn't fix the problem. However, deleting Hard Disk 2 from the configuration did. Thanks for your help in identifying the problem.

WayneF4 likes this.
  5. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello, please refer to the knowledge base article https://kb.parallels.com/112140 to fix the error. Thanks