migrating a pvm file to a new Mac with a newer version of Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AllenB5, Nov 26, 2020.

1. AllenB5

AllenB5 Bit poster

I'm thinking of upgrading my oldish Mac running 10.11 (I think that's the newest it will run) that runs Snow Leopard (Server) 20.6.8 to keep old code running.
    If I upgrade to a new (Intel) Mac, and the newest version of Parallels - can I just move over the .pvm file and expect it to work?
    And, is there any remote possibility that I could do that with MacOS 11?
    Or will I have to run a MacOs 10.12 parallels image running a parallels image of 10.6.8

2. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Problem solver

Hello,
    you can use your current VM on your new Mac (just cope it to the external drive and paste in on your new Mac)

Also please clarify the following questions:
    And, is there any remote possibility that I could do that with MacOS 11?
    Or will I have to run a MacOs 10.12 parallels image running a parallels image of 10.6.8

What would you like to perform?

3. AllenB5

AllenB5 Bit poster

Ideally, I want to run my MacOS 10.6.8 apps (particularly PowerPC based apps that use the Rosetta built into Mac OS 10.6.8) on an ARM-based MacOS 11 machine.
    That should make your head hurt to think about: an ARM processor emulating an Intel processor emulating a PowerPC.
    I have a .pvm file containing MacOS (Server) and the apps I want, and I don't to completely rebuild the MacOS 10.6.8, or the data-base it uses that easily.
    Maybe Rosetta2 is so good it could translate Parallels from Intel to ARM code and run my .pvm file directly. That sounds hard and unlikely.
    But, if it can't, or parallels on a ARM-based Mac can't run a MacOS 10.6.8 VM, I can't upgrade too ARM-based macs and have to stay with Intel based Macs.