Mavericks 10.9.2 Guest Crashes with Video Memory over 64 MB

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by newMacPro, Mar 14, 2014.

1. newMacPro

newMacPro Bit poster

Mavericks 10.9.2 Guest Crashes with Video Memory over 128 MB

Running a Mac OS X 10.9.2 Guest with Parallels Desktop Build 9.0.24217 and Parallels Tools installed on a 2013 Mac Pro host running10.9.2 6-core 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD and twin V700s . It can boot properly with the default 32 MB of video RAM, but crashes with a "Fatal Error" on boot if I set the video RAM above 128 MB. I am running it on one of three 30" monitors at 2560 X 1600, so maxing out the available VRAM would be a good idea. Any open else with this problem?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello,

3D acceleration is not supported in OS X Virtual Machine, therefore assigning more than 64 MB of video memory would result in overload, and may cause Virtual Machines to crash on some Macs.

More info available @ http://kb.parallels.com/120390

Thanks,
    Looran

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. newMacPro

newMacPro Bit poster

If that is the case, then the "3D acceleration" check box should be disabled and the "Video memory" box and slider should max out at 64 MB if a Mac OS X operating system is present. Not to do so is lame/lazy.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Reinstall Parallels Tools.

5. rcstevensonaz

rcstevensonaz Junior Member

How many times? I am now up to having installed 5 times. Each one completes successfully and prompts me to restart the GuestOS

6. newMacPro

newMacPro Bit poster

Reinstalling Parallels Tools did not fix anything for me. Still crash over 128 MB, limited 4:3 resolution.

7. rcstevensonaz

rcstevensonaz Junior Member

I have same conversation in a different thread.

The 128Mb crash issue predated this last maintenance update. But, I am now also forced into the 4:3 only ratio which was not the case two days ago before I applied the latest update.

8. Mac Youser

Mac Youser Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same 4:3 ratio.

9. 99987b64

99987b64 Bit poster

As well, the resolution is awful and maximizing window just scales it to absolutely distorted proportions.

PS: Used to give a whole 1GB of VRAM to my OS X guest without a hiccup.

10. Chris Gleason 27

Chris Gleason 27 Bit poster

Is there a way to download the previous version?

11. xmarc999

xmarc999 Bit poster

The Parallels Tools install instructions assume a Windows VM, but I am running a Lion VM under Mavericks. Do I still need to install Parallels Tools? And how do I do this?