Macbook Pro Intel to M2

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DennisT4, Jun 12, 2023.

1. DennisT4

DennisT4 Junior Member

Hi Everyone,
    I had migrated Parallels and all the settings and files with my Windows 11 from an old Macbook Pro to a newer one (both Intel) before. There was a file I had to transfer over.
    Now I am eyeing moving to a M2 Macbook Pro, would I be able to follow the same process? Or is the M2 version going to require a clean installation of a new version of Parallels and then Windows 11 instead?

When I am on my current Intel i9 Macbook Pro, I notice sometimes running Windows 11 with Excel and I don't do anything that complicated, the fans will be going. The fans will pretty much guarantee to run if I happen to run Teams meeting (or Zoom) when I clicked a link within the email (which I use the Outlook in Windows version).

I am not sure if it is because of those software naturally would have got the fans going, or it is because I am doing this within a Parallels shell?
    If I then switch to a M2 Macbook Air, would this be a step too far, since they don't have fans and they rely on natural cooling?

Much appreciate any thoughts and experiences?

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello,
    An Intel-based virtual machine (VM) cannot be started on a new Mac with Apple M-Series chips because it is not compatible with Mac computers equipped with the Apple M-Series chip.
    A new ARM-based Windows 11 virtual machine must be created.
    Kindly follow the steps in this article to copy personal data between Intel-based and ARM-based virtual machines : https://kb.parallels.com/125344
    Thank you