MAC OSX and SSD Drives

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by pimped out MBP i7, Mar 31, 2011.

1. pimped out MBP i7

pimped out MBP i7 Bit poster

I am running MBP i7 with 8gb Ram, 280gb SSD along with 480GB SSD installed in Optical Drive Bay.

I have had numerous issues of Parallels crashing my system since going to solid state drives. I have the latest updated parallels desktop and notice consistent issues with trying to close windows XP. The SSD that contained the VM machines, corrupted the partition table after again having issues shutting down the VM Machine. This is a serious issue and would highly recommend against the install on SSD. I had no issues when running on the standard HDDs for the last 5 years.

Has anyone else been experiencing these issues

2. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

I am actually about to test an SSD but not with Windows XP. Our office is moving towards Windows 7 Professional now, and was wondering if the SSDs were compatible. I plan on using a SandForce based controller, so even if the operating system cannot detect that the drive is an SSD, the controller will handle TRIM itself.

3. Supercharge

Supercharge Bit poster

Update?

It's been over a year and I'm curious to hear of your update.

My Case
    I have 120GB OWC with only 1.5GB free after my Windows XP install (w/ games), using Parallels 7. My 256GB drive should be arriving today.

My Observation
    I have not noticed any problems whatsoever, except during the first install - I had a blue screen of death (BSOD) during install, probably because of my Parallels settings - I decided to give it all of CPU cores and half of my RAM. I'm not sure what effect that might have had, but I guess it isn't virtualized like VM Ware was.

When I let Parallels choose everything, no problems (of course I adjusted the settings after).

Suggestion
    Perhaps it's the type of SSD you were using, or the version of Parallels.

Why I Chose XP
    I chose to use XP because I have it sitting here doing nothing now that I upgraded my XP machine to Win7. Rather than pay $100+ for a new copy of 7, I'd rather just use the XP - besides, I only need Windows to run a few programs, not give me everything Windows has to offer.

How I Came Here
    I stumbled across this post in attempting to search if its necessary to apply SSD settings, or if Parallels applies the necessary settings to preserve the drive (reduce SSD wear).

Anyhow, I'll try to help where/when I can.

4. judgedeath2

judgedeath2 Bit poster

Just a quick reply,

I had an 2008 15" MBP that I installed a 128 GB SSD in, ran Parallels 7 & Lion on it with no issues at all.

5. eyepee

eyepee Member

I have an OCZ Agility 3 in my Mac Mini Server with Win 7 Guest and no problems at all with the SSD and running Parallels on it.