location of files stored in Mac OS virtual machine

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by HélèneD, Dec 24, 2015.

1. HélèneD

HélèneD Bit poster

Hi, All,
    To save space, I did not back up my virtual machines, but stored work files on an external hard disk. Despite a severe computer malfunction that had me erase all and re-install everything from scratch, I didn't lose any file. ***Except*** that I'd forgotten about my FileMaker Pro 9 time-tracking database, which I did not save to the hard disk. Surely, that database exists "somewhere" in my legacy Mac OS .pvm. Where?
    Thanks for all suggestions.

Helene D.
    Blainville, QC

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Helene ,
    Could you please provide us the below information.
    1. What was the Guest OS have installed earlier.
    2. Do you still have the PVM file on your Back up.
    3. If you have the PVM file right click on it and click open with Parallels mounter > once it is mounted you will have access to the Guest OS hard disk.
    4. What is the version of Parallels Desktop you are using. please provide us the above information for further investigation.

3. HélèneD

HélèneD Bit poster

Thanks for trying to help.
    Guest OS installed, before and after, is the same, Lion, Mac OS 10.7.5.
    Backup .pvm was last used with Parallels 10. I now have Parallels 11 installed. My .pvm backup file is on a clone of my hard disk, where Parallels is installed.
    I tried to right click the .pvm file, as indicated, and open it with Parallels Mounter, using Parallels Mounter 10.3.0 or using Parallels Mounter 11.1.1. I did this several times. Absolutely nothing happened. Nothing. Nothing "opened", no window was displayed.
    What should I do then?

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Helene , please follow the steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/118738 to get access to the Virtual Machine hard disks when the Virtual Machine is turned off.

5. HélèneD

HélèneD Bit poster

That was a bit confusing but in the end I managed it. I'd suggest changing the instructions at the end. For somebody who's not experienced, "running" the other virtual machine means File > Open, which doesn't work. So I'd make it clear that what you have to do is File > New > Add an existing machine. Thanks for the help.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thanks for your feedback. Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!