Lion VM tested at all? Too many issues

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Batkuip, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Batkuip

Batkuip Bit poster

I'm seriously doubting that running Lion in VM has been tested at all. In the first 5 minutes I ran into whole bunch of issues.

On a new MBP 2011, clean lion host:

Installation
    *) Installing Lion using the recovery partition option did not work. It starts up alright but just after the sign in process with the App Store it fails with "Unknown Error".
    *) Installing Lion from USB key does not work. According to the KB I should be getting an option to boot from USB key. It doesn't.
    *) What finally worked was booting on of the Install ESD.dmg as suggested by another forum user.

Keyboard
    *) I've setup the same keyboard layout as the host (Australian). And I cannot get ~ to work. All I get is +-. I've tried a whole bunch of profiles. Nothing changes it.
    *) Keyboard Viewer does not seem to capture the Shift key properly (only for a fraction of a second and then it turns it self off).
    *) Apple-H does not work, but Apple-N (finder) does. Ctrl-[arrow] works within the VM. All the while map "system keys" is unticked in preferences. Ideally I would capture system keys, but keep ctrl-[arrow] connected to the host.
    *) Copy-Paste between VM and host is not working at all

Display
    *) Switching the parallels VM window to fullscreen works (some gfx glitching in the process but it works in the end)
    *) Clicking on LaunchPad -> Utilities will lock up the display for about 5 to 10 seconds.
    *) Switching back to window mode does not always resize the display back. It does scale, so everything looks very small and narrow. Seems to be 50-50 whether it will work or not.

This is all within 5 minutes of using it!

Any news on when Parallels will start supporting Lion VM?

2. Knosis

Knosis Bit poster

I had similar issues

I spent hours with tech support trying many things that never helped. I was told my case was being escalated to level2 support. So 3 days when by without an email or call. Again I tried my hand at making my Lion VM work. No luck. It seems to be that the drive is stuck at 64 gigs. The automatic expanding disk that works on my Win 7 VM does not work on mac VM's. Nor does the resize file system option. When I try to do a custom install I get errors about reading the disk even in the initial stages of installation.

I resized my Lion VM. It took half the day to resize it to 450 gigs and again an error at the end. Then the machine would not boot up. Bear in mind I did a custom install and never got to point of resized VM starting up to setup Lion. If I tried the restore Lion from 'Install OS X Lion Using the Recover Partition' I get more errors dealing with the disk or if I get it to start installing, it starts installing Lion and then downloading components. The only problem is the stuck size of the VM machine can't hold the updates Lion is downloading. Again sad.

So I decided after three days to contact support. Again level 1 could not help a said level two would call in two hours. It was 6 in the evening. By 8:30 no call. So I was told on two separate times that level 2 tech support would call and help. Nobody called or emailed in an amazing display of unprofessional behavior. This feature of running Lion in a VM is an Alpha not even beta stage product sold as new. We are being fooled. You'll see their tech support post links to support documents that provide no help. It is sad to see a company like Parallels fall so far quality and service wise.

Here to the old days of parallels when they made rock solid software. My guess is they have hired programers at 1/3 the cost and got the quality that comes with it. Where are the software engineers that made parallels desktop great?

I'd suggest you ask for your money back until they have working software. Don't let them take our money and waste our time like this. It is unprofessional and irresponsible. It's hard to believe they think people should put up with this and just discover after hours of wasting their time the feature sold as working does in fact not work.