Lion Guest issues

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Brazilian Joe, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Brazilian Joe

Brazilian Joe Bit poster

Hi all,

I am having trouble setting up Lion as guest on my Parallels.

1) Holding Option on boot does not show me the recovery partition

I could not enter the recovery HD to try to resize my disk. If there is a way, I couldn't find it.

2) Cannot customize hardware before booting Lion installation.

All I want to do is to give my installation a bigger disk, is it too much to ask?

I can shut down the new machine before installing Lion and resize the disk, but that does not resize the partition, which has already been created.

3) Cannot reformat the virtual disk during installation.

I am greeted with the error 'could not unmount disk'. I cannot do a non-destructive resize, neither re-partition to make the first partition take up the whole disk space.

In short, I am stuck with a 64GB disk, although I want to give the system a bigger primary disk.

2. Torusoft

Torusoft Bit poster

Can't increase size of Lion virtual disk

I'd like to get a clear answer as to what Parallels Desktop 7 can and can't do when it comes to increasing the size of a Lion virtual disk. Right now, regardless of whether I enable snapshots or not, the size of the disk in my Lion guest OS will not increase. My VM simply fills up until there's no space left on the guest Lion HD.

This is a huge problem. Parallels, can you please clarify whether this feature isn't in Parallels 7 for Lion guest OSes or whether I have a technical problem?

Chris

3. Knosis

Knosis Bit poster

I've had similar issues

I spent hours with tech support trying many things that never helped. I was told my case was being escalated to level2 support. So 3 days when by without an email or call. Again I tried my hand at making my Lion VM work. No luck. It seems to be that the drive is stuck at 64 gigs. The automatic expanding disk that works on my Win 7 VM does not work on mac VM's. Nor does the resize file system option. When I try to do a custom install I get errors about reading the disk even in the initial stages of installation.

I resized my Lion VM. It took half the day to resize it to 450 gigs and again an error at the end. Then the machine would not boot up. Bear in mind I did a custom install and never got to point of resized VM starting up to setup Lion. If I tried the restore Lion from 'Install OS X Lion Using the Recover Partition' I get more errors dealing with the disk or if I get it to start installing, it starts installing Lion and then downloading components. The only problem is the stuck size of the VM machine can't hold the updates Lion is downloading. Again sad.

So I decided after three days to contact support. Again level 1 could not help a said level two would call in two hours. It was 6 in the evening. By 8:30 no call. So I was told on two separate times that level 2 tech support would call and help. Nobody called or emailed in an amazing display of unprofessional behavior. This feature of running Lion in a VM is an Alpha not even beta stage product sold as new. We are being fooled. You'll see their tech support post links to support documents that provide no help. It is sad to see a company like Parallels fall so far quality and service wise.

Here to the old days of parallels when they made rock solid software. My guess is they have hired programers at 1/3 the cost and got the quality that comes with it. Where are the software engineers that made parallels desktop great?

I'd suggest you ask for your money back until they have working software. Don't let them take our money and waste our time like this. It is unprofessional and irresponsible.