Lightroom Catalog Network error using dropbox

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RuC, Jun 25, 2020.

1. RuC

RuC Bit poster

Hopefully the title sums it up.

I'm using Parallels 15 on Catalina

Running Mojave and Lightroom 6 (32 bit) on my Virtual Machine

Lightroom gives me the error shown below when trying to load a Lightroom catalog stored in Catalinas Dropbox (which is within the 'Parallel Shared Folder')

I guess its a permissions error, but i've had a look & can't seem to fix it.

Anybody tried this before? If I copy the catalog *to* the Mojave desktop all is fine, but that kind of defeats the workflow a little (I have about 1.5 TB of Lightroom Catalogs !)

Lightroom 6 runs surprisingly well in a VM in case anyone is curious !

Cheers
    Lightroom Network Error.jpg

2. RuC

RuC Bit poster

Hi, could someone from Parallels tech support chime on this please?

3. Itechmint

Itechmint Bit poster

Dropbox or equivalent is probably the only possibility to store your catalog file in a networked manner, but this makes sense only if you access the same pictures on the same (local NAS) disk. The problem with this is naturally that nobody can ensure the integrity of the data base if, by mischance, you access the database with 2 computers at the same time. Lightroom is not multi-user ready. And that is why Chetna reminds not to store the catalog on a network drive.

I have the following hardware:

• NAS - for Backups (9Tb)
    • 6 TB Photo disk on my Workstation and
    • 2 TB USB3 disk for my Laptop.
    My workflow is, that most of the time, I import and develop on my Laptop. For that reason, I have a catalog database on my external disk. When I'm at my base office, I import that catalog database (import from catalog) into my workstation's catalog database. The story here is, that I have a first backup of my most recent data and I can continue working the pictures on my workstation. A backup is then scheduled from my workstation disk to my NAS.

My current pictures database (2015+2016) is currently around 1TB, my overall database of pictures dating 10 years back (to the beginning of my digital area) is around 2 TB. Additionally, I have an additional TB of scanned data from my analogue life.

This works best for me at the moment.

For the corrupt data problem: You may try to recover from a backup catalog. Best practice would be anyway to store those somewhere else in your disk space.