Installing Snow Leopard Server as guest on Parallels 7

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TimCim, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TimCim

TimCim Bit poster

Does anyone have instructions for how to install Snow Leopard Server as guest on Parallels 7?

I have the disk image for Snow Leopard Server as a .dmg file. When I attempt the install, it starts and processes for a while and then just hangs on the grey Apple booting screen after a few minutes.

2. TimCim

TimCim Bit poster

Still Wondering

I found an error with my disk image...that is fixed now...but still don't see how to start the installation. Any ideas?

3. Dave Wells

Dave Wells Junior Member

Hello Tim,
    Without any help from the documentation, support staff or menus, I was finally able to perform this very same installation by trial and error.
    You pretend you are installing Windows, and only after you specify that you have a disk image and it tries to open it, THEN you are presented with a drop down menu to indicate that it is actually a Mac OS installer, and from there it runs just like installing on any other Mac computer.
    Why this starts with a Windows intro, instead of just indicating installation from a disk/image, is a true mystery.

4. TimCim

TimCim Bit poster

Solved With Work Around

I was finally able to install Snow Leopard Server on the latest version of Parallels.
    It would not install from any of the disk images that I created in multiple formats... .dmg .iso or .cdr
    I used the actual installation DVD (physical media) and Parallels finally recognized it and installed.
    It was slow and noisy chugging away at the DVD...but finally installed.

I believe there is a problem with Parallels in that it will not recognize a valid disk image of Snow Leopard Server.
    Hopefully this will be fixed in a future release.