Installation Assistant doesn't recognize macOS Installer?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Johnd18, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Johnd18

Johnd18 Bit poster

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble creating a new macOS VM from scratch from a macOS Installer. I'm running 13.2.0 (43213), Pro Edition.

For example, I have the file "Install macOS High Sierra.app" for macOS High Sierra (10.13.2, 17C89). However the Installation Assistant does not detect it. If I try "Select a File" and navigate to its location, it is greyed out and unselectable. If I drag-and-drop the macOS installer to the Parallels Installation Assistant window, the assistant says "Unable to detect operating system".

I was able to get this to work in the past, I thought with this version of Parallels and an installer for 10.13.2. The Assistant had then automatically created a second disk to hold the installer data and booted the VM off of that.

Is there any way I can debug this? Alternatively, any way I can manually setup the VM with this installer?

(Apologies if this thread exists already. I couldn't find anything about it in the KB nor in forum search)

2. Johnd18

Johnd18 Bit poster

I've worked around the issue by using the createInstallMedia command inside the installer bundle to create a fake "usb key" (by creating a disk image with Disk Utility, then pointing createInstallMedia at that volume).

The Parallels Installation Assistant was able to recognize the fake usb installer.

It's a hassle and waste of space, so I'm still hoping to find a solution for the root cause, but at least I'm not blocked.