How do you create a larger initial hdd?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Matt6, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Matt6

Matt6 Bit poster

Hi,
    When I go to create a new Virtual OSX machine, the hdd defaults to a 64gb expanding disk. Now, i have made a time machine backup of my physical Macbook pro which i want to turn into a virtual machine. The time machine backup is 160gb so, when i start the new virtual machine and select the option to restore from a time machine backup i get a message saying there isnt enough space (makes sense since i am trying to restore 160gb onto a 64gb hdd.

Does anyone know how i can make the default drive size bigger than 64gb when i create a new virtual machine so i can restore from a larger backup?
    Would appreciate any help on this
    Thanks

2. EmadI

EmadI Bit poster

I need this too. Have you figured out a workaround?

3. JohnnyK1

JohnnyK1 Bit poster

Having the same problem. If you shut down the virtual machine before installing and edit the disk to have more space, the partition in the virtual machine does not use the extra space and will give errors if you try to repartition with disk utility. In older versions of Parallels, you could create a custom VM and specify those things before installing anything on the VM.

4. JohnnyK1

JohnnyK1 Bit poster

I just figured out a workaround. Create the virtual machine. While or after the recovery boots up, close the VM and 'Shut Down'. Go to the configuration and create a new hard drive with the size you want. It will be 'Hard Drive 2'. Make sure 'Hard Drive 1' is the first in the boot order or you will have EFI problems. You will now be able to select the second, larger HD when restoring from Time Machine. When finished creating the VM, you can delete HD1.

Last edited: May 5, 2016