Host and client OS restrictions under version 19?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EWTHeckman, Aug 22, 2023.

1. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

According to the Knowledge Base, all of the Mac OS versions have the following "small print" attached to them:

"Requires a Mac computer that supports the operating system as a host OS."

I'm currently running Mac OS 10.14 as a client on a Mac Pro 2019 using Parallels 18. The earliest version this machine supports natively is 10.15.2. Does this mean the ability to run this older OS is going away under Parallels 19?

MatthewR20 likes this.
  2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Oh wow, I just read the product page and it sure does state that for EVERY Intel OS. That's an ouch. No, I wouldn't recommend upgrading then if you plan on using a non-current version of MacOS.

3. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

According to tech support:

... if you're trying to create a Mac OS 10.14 virtual machine on Parallels Desktop 19 then it will still work as long as the host MacOS on your Mac computer would be either MacOS Monterey, Ventura. or Sonoma.​

In other words, it seems what they were trying to say was that you must have an Intel based Mac to run macOS versions created for Intel based Macs in a virtual machine.

I've now downlaoded version 19 and tested it. I can run macOS 10.14.6 on my Mac Pro (2019). I also have a Mac OS 10.6.4 Server VM (so I can run Power PC applications). That also can still run under Parallels 19.

My only complaint with v19 so far is that I find the new Parallels icon annoying. It reminds me of 1960's racing suits, which really bugs me for some reason.

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Please note that the supported Parallels Desktop version will be according to the latest host macOS that can be installed on your mac.
    Kindly refer to this article for the Parallels Desktop and macOS compatibility : https://kb.parallels.com/114381
    Thank you

5. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

That's pretty confusing. My question is about the client OS version. (Client = OS running inside the virtual machine.) The knowledge base article is about the host OS version. (Host = OS running your computer.)

The reason I asked in the first place is that this note ("Requires a Mac computer that supports the operating system as a host OS.") is given in reference to the list of supported client/guest OS versions as a footnote: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124223

6. ErnstM

ErnstM Junior Member

What I was wondering is whether they mean something else entirely, like a licensing issue or something. That in order to virtualise Mac OS X 10.6 one needs to be in possession of another Mac capable of natively booting Mac OS X 10.6.

It simply can not mean what it says now, for no computer that can natively boot macOS 10.14.6 (minimal system requirements for parallels 19) can also natively boot Mac OS X 10.6...

7. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

I just received the following message from Parallels tech support:

If you are trying to run a MacOS Mojave vm on your Mac computer, the Parallels Desktop 19 still supports it as long as the Mac computer you are using still supports macOS Mojave as a host OS as well. You can refer to this article by Apple which Mac models still supports MacOS Mojave https://support.apple.com/kb/sp777?locale=en_US

The confusion is getting worse, here, not better.

8. ErnstM

ErnstM Junior Member

Parallels has changed the wording of the note on KB124223. It now says:

"Parallels Desktop 19 supports only macOS virtual machines created on a Mac computer that supports the operating system as a host OS. Feel free to give it a try if you need such a virtual machine, though please note that it might not work."​

So, we're on our own or something?

9. ErnstM

ErnstM Junior Member

Maybe it's me but for me the new wording doesn't clarify anything at all. The first sentence alone: [Parallels 19] only supports virtual macOS machines what were created on a Mac computer (in a version of Parallels I presume) that supports the operating system as a host OS.

In other words, to create a virtual Mac OS X 10.6 machine, I would have to create it using Parallels 7 on a Mac OS X 10.6 system and only then will the resulting virtual machine will be a "Supported Guest Operating System" within Parallels 19. And if I would create a virtual Mac OS 10.6 system on a modern machine running Parallels 19 it will be totally unclear if the virtual machine will work or not. I find that very peculiar and quite worrying.

EWTHeckman likes this.
  10. ErnstM

ErnstM Junior Member

The footnote has been changed again:

"please note that you can install only the versions of macOS virtual machines (VMs) that your host supports. E.g., macOS Ventura VM won't work on the legacy Mac that isn't compatible with macOS Ventura 13."​

So, newer software doesn't run on Macs not supporting newer software. Totally unclear why this also applies to running older versions of macOS/Mac OS X on newer hosts. Must be very difficult to produce a clear bit of text.

EWTHeckman likes this.
  11. joevt

joevt Forum Maven