Guest Hardware Serial Number

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JDHatman, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JDHatman

JDHatman Bit poster

I'm testing some reporting software and I have several virtual machines using Parallels 8/9. I also have several virtual machines using VMWare Fusion. VMWare creates dummy hardware serial numbers for the OS X guests using "VM" followed by a random serials of characters. This works well. However, Parallels insists on using the host hardware serial number for every OS X guest. This obviously causes problems for my reporting software that bases client recognition on hardware serial numbers. It thinks that all of the VMs and their respective hosts are the same machines. At least, the ones running on Parallels. Is there a way, even via terminal, that I can change the guest serial numbers to something other than the host's serial number?

Thanks,

JDHatman

2. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi JDHatman,

Please respond to the private mesaage with the information requested.

Thanks,
    Looran

3. mrtips

mrtips Bit poster

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as JDHatman. What was the solution to the issue.

Many thanks

Matt

4. JDHatman

JDHatman Bit poster

There hasn't been a solution yet. Parallels has opened a ticket with their engineering team to work on a solution.

5. mrtips

mrtips Bit poster

Thanks for the reply, i'll look out for the fix if/when it appears.

cheers

Matt

6. Techhead156

Techhead156 Hunter

I'm guessing this would be against Apple's license it it were true.. The same applies to using the same Recovery image in Mavericks for every other Mavericks VM in the future would be against their license too..

I dunno how VMWare does it,

7. mrtips

mrtips Bit poster

Bit confused what are you saying would be against the licence. Spoofing the serial number?

8. Techhead156

Techhead156 Hunter

That's my theory anyway.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  9. Michael3

Michael3 Bit poster

Has this been resolved or is possible? VMWare Fusion does this and I would hate to have to switch because of it. We really need to be able to create a unique VM environment that is separate from the host computer. The UUID and MAC address are unique but not the hardware/system volume ID

10. JoelS1

JoelS1 Junior Member

Also tendering our interest here in the unique serial / hardware / system IDs. We utilise MunkiReport (2, PHP edition) as our reporting base and we would rather not fork it just to cater for GOSes.