Ethernet vs Wireless adapter as network transport for MacOS Guest VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DrewB3, Jun 16, 2023.

1. DrewB3

DrewB3 Bit poster

I am running Parallels Desktop 18 on a 2021 Macbook Pro that has M1 Pro processor (Apple silicon chip). The host operating system is Ventura 13.4. I have installed a MacOS virtual machine running the same OS version. The MacOS virtual machine obviously has limited configuration options. The laptop itself (host) has a native wireless adapter. I also have a Belkin UCB-C ethernet adapter connected to the laptop. What I am finding is that the virtual machine networking works fine when I have the host OS using the wireless adapter. If I disable the wireless adapter and use the USB-C ethernet adapter, the host OS operates fine but the virtual machine has no connectivity. In short, the virtual machine has no network connectivity when the host OS uses the USB-C ethernet. I have tested the results of this configuration using shared, bridged and host-only networking for the Parallels VM. Same results in every context.

I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this problem and, if so, if someone can suggest a workaround. From what I have read Parallels should be able to make of any network adapter seen in the host OS. I cannot get any USB-C ethernet adapter, however, to work properly with the MacOS virtual machine. The guest VM obviously only sees itself as having a single ethernet adapter. The issues is with which ethernet adapter is in use by the host OS. I would prefer to ethernet at the host OS level if possible. Thank you.

2. DrewB3

DrewB3 Bit poster

I suspect that this problem may be related to the USB limitations found with MacOS VMs under the ARM architecture. I am not trying to allow the guest VM to access the USB-C ethernet, per se, but it seems to fall into the same category of issue.