Dual OSX boot and Parallels?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GaryM1, Jan 19, 2015.

1. GaryM1

GaryM1 Bit poster

Hi all. I have a MacBook Pro running Yosemite on the boot partition and Mavericks installed on another partition. It'd be nice to be able to access the Mavericks partition using Parallels rather than always having to boot into it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to virtualize a second OSX partition in Parallels? Hope this makes sense!

Cheers
    Gary

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can clone and restore a OS X installation into a virtual machine, but you cannot use it directly in Parallels like you can with Windows on Bootcamp.

3. VEDRINEN

VEDRINEN Bit poster

Same question here...

My MacBook Pro died and I put his hard drive in a dock to use the system (10.7) sometimes for many reasons and I'd like to use it on my iMac (10.10) without booting on the external hard drive so I thought about Parallel, like I do with the Windows partition on the same hard drive...

If it is not possible, I could do your solution Specimen but after that, will it be possible to get all the virtual machine's datas to put it back on a new Mac from the virtual machine ?

Thx.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Same answer here.

As for the second part, you can use shared folders, network shares, cloud storage, external storage, etc, to save files from the VM that are also accessible from other sources. However, keeping both installations completely in sync is tricky and time consuming, if it's just the user files it's easier.