Drag mac file onto windows app does not work

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by dambox, Dec 14, 2013.

1. dambox

dambox Bit poster

I am running latest OS mavericks and parallels 9 Build 9.0.24172.

Since upgrading to 9 I am unable to drag and drop files - it used to work fine. When I move the file from Mac finder - I get a momentary green "+" and it then disappears. The file is not accepted by the windows app.

I have reinstalled parallels tools with no result. I do not have any security running (virus etc).

I am at the point of looking at VMware as this is a problem for me. If I can avoid switching I would like to

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Please checked your options in both Parallels and in maverick to make sure that that the default was not reset to not allow sharing.
    For Parallels:Virtual Machine>Configure>Options>Applications>(Check)Share Mac application with Windows
    You can also use Custom Folder under Sharing to allow certain folder to be shared all the time.
    Then under Advanced select Sync from either OS and check the Copy & Paste setting you wish.

3. Carl101

Carl101 Bit poster

Same issue for me. The drag and drop stopped working when I updated to Build 9.0.24172. Frustrating that this does not work correctly and has not been addressed. I followed the instructions above and all of my share functions are checked correctly. Have reinstalled tools on Parallel's as well. Any update from you on this issue Parallel's?

4. DRL1987

DRL1987 Bit poster

Drag and Drop not working from Mavericks to Parallels Build Build 9.0.24172 Windows 7

Hey, all.

Bit of a fiddly fix that worked for me was:

1. In Parallels with, your Win 7 VM running, select from the parallels menu in OSX:

"Virtual Machine" -> "Install Parallels Tools"

2. Once it completes restart the Windows VM.

3. Then repeat from step 1, only this time select "Virtual Machine" -> "Reinstall Parallels Tools"

This time you should see a green message box stating Parallels tools were successfully installed.

4. Reboot Windows and hopefully drag and drop now works.

Cheers,

Daniel.

5. MattWalmlsey

MattWalmlsey Bit poster

Thanks Daniel - I had the same problem and your suggested fix sorted it! Cheers.