Display problems with PCBSD 7

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by jgarbers, Sep 16, 2008.

1. jgarbers

jgarbers Bit poster

I've installed PCBSD from its DVD ISO image to a Parallels VM. Installation went very cleanly, but I can't get far past the GUI login screen. After I enter my password, the screen "scrunches up" into a sort of monochrome version of my desktop for a few seconds, then it blinks back to the console and winds up back at the login GUI. X is "unexpectedly terminating", according to console messages. I went through the "display setup wizard" and it worked fine at 1024 x 768... just can't see the desktop. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm guessing there's some X configuration wizardry that might help... thanks!

2. raronson

raronson Bit poster

Same Thing

I've got the same issue. I tried following my own advice from this post:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=21073&highlight=*nix

And no luck. It must have something to do with KDE4, because the login screen displays perfectly, and I can get the desired resolution if I choose to login to a TWM session.

Not sure what gives...

It just looks like KDE tries to reset the resolution when the session starts. I've poked around in the .KDE4 directory and tried editing or deleting suspect files, but I still have the same issue. Oh, and I've reinstalled twice now, so it wasn't a borked install.

Still looking into it, but I don't have a lot of time to spend on it.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

jsut to make sure that - you are using build 5624