Disappearing AppleWorks pointer/cursor in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Greybeard, May 5, 2013.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Junior Member

I am running a Snow Leopard Server in Parallels 8.0 on a Mac mini with OS 10.8.3 as host machine so that I can access and work on my old AppleWorks 6.2.9 documents. In AppleWorks word-processing documents, and — particularly distressingly — in AppleWorks spreadsheets, the mouse-pointer disappears as soon as it is moved into the writing area of the document. It can be brought back by moving it to a place on the screen outside the document and clicking. It will then remain when it is brought back to a single location in the document, but disappears again after one click.

I have been told by Apple experts that this does not happen if AppleWorks 6.2.9 is run on a real, as opposed to a virtual, Snow Leopard machine; so it seems that this is a Parallels problem, not a Mac 10.6 one. I should be very grateful for any comments, explanations or solutions.

2. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. Greybeard

Greybeard Junior Member

This is very useful in clarifying the issue, NucArb, and Universal Access is an excellent idea which had not occurred to me. But I have installed a little app. called PinPoint in my VM. This gives me a huge choice of cursors to add to or replace my arrow-head. With all of them I can adjust size and transparency (and in theory to select colour, though that does not work in my VM system). I am currently using a cursor named 'Wire and Fire', set to the smallest size and moderately transparent, but it would be worth experimenting. I find this works nearly as well as the real arrow-head. I agree, though, that Parallels should be persuaded to modify the application.

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Junior Member

Further information: I have just tried to contact Parallels in order to add my voice to those clamouring for modification to the application, but the process of raising a support ticket is so involved, complicated and lengthy that my browser timed out before I could even get to the stage of stating the problem. I think this is a further issue that Parallels should be pressurized about, but I am afraid I am not going to try again myself. Perhaps members of the community who are more adept than me at finding all the arcane information that the support procedure asks for would be prepared to tackle this, as well as the substantive issue of the disappearing mouse arrow?

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Junior Member

That's great news. I have just updated Parallels (and Parallels Tools did install automatically) and tried AppleWorks (all parts) and a variety of other applications, all successfully. I have not yet tried Photoshop because I have not currently got Photoshop installed in my virtual Snow Leopard Server, but if I do reinstall Photoshop in that virtual machine I shall try it then.

Thank you for announcing the good news.