Debugging OpenStep 4.2 Networking

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by sigalarm, Jan 18, 2011.

1. sigalarm

sigalarm Bit poster

Hello folks. I am trying to get OpenStep 4.2 installed in a Parallels partition (v 6.0.11992). Most things are working great, I was able to get patch 4 installed and have the VBE display adapter running. I installed the NE2K driver, and it seems to have installed correctly. On boot I get the following error message:

Registering: PS2Mouse
    ERROR !!! no NE2000 adapter found at address 300
    _IOProbeDriver: No Such Device, device NE2000 unit 0
    Setting tape block size for /dev/nrst0

So what it appears is that the parallels software never sets up an emulated interface that OpenStep recognizes. I know plenty of other folks seem to have gotten this running, so I am wondering if I need to do something additional to get this to work.

For reference, I am running an early (August 2006) Mac Pro with 4 CPUs and 12 GB of memory.

I read in a much earlier thread (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=855) that there was some sort of XML file tweak that caused the proper adapter type to be used.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Bruce

2. tmhackalot

tmhackalot Bit poster

Did you ever get this working? I have got pretty much the exact same set up and it simply worked for me. No tweaks.

3. sigalarm

sigalarm Bit poster

Sadly I never did get it to work with Parallels. Worked first time i tried it with VM ware. A real shame too because I prefer Parallels.

Bruce