Clone host MacOS installation into a Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by allank, Sep 30, 2020.

1. allank

allank Junior Member

I want to transfer all of my 32 bit apps to a Mojave VM, and then upgrade my host (currently Mojave) to Catalina. During the installation of Mojave as a VM, I tried to restore from a time machine backup of the host, but the restore could not find the sparsebundle on the NAS. It found the NAS and opened the volume (in this case called Public) but the window was then blank.

Now I have a "virgin" Mojave VM, with Parallels Tools installed on both the host and the VM. Can anyone explain how to migrate the 32 bit apps to the VM? I have some of the original installation files of the 32 bit apps, but not all, so I can't reinstall all of them on the VM.

I don't need to migrate any docs, since I can access all the docs from both the host and the VM. I also don't mind deleting the VM and starting from scratch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Unfortunately, it is not possible to move the apps into the virtual machine and 3D acceleration is not supported for macOS Mojave virtual machine so some apps which need 3D acceleration will not work fine. Let us know the applications you want to use in the virtual machine.

3. allank

allank Junior Member

I was able to do this by simply copying the 32 bit apps to the virtual machine and launching them. For others I had the installation dmgs, so just reinstalled them on the Mojave VM. Problem solved.

Maria@Parallels likes this.