Changes to Hardware UUID behaviour in latest updates?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DaveF3, Jul 3, 2018.

1. DaveF3

DaveF3 Bit poster

Has there been any changes to the ways hardware UUIDs for macOS guests are calculated?

I created a basic macOS guest, then I use linked clones to test DEP enrolment profiles and this worked fine for me until recently. Now, when I create a linked clone... it has the same hardware UUID as the original VM, as do any other linked clones I create... this means they're all seen by my MDM server as the same device.

I've checked the PVS file for the linked clones but the UUID reported in System Information does not appear within that file, I've tried clearing the NVRAM of the guest VM by running `sudo nvram -d platform-uuid` within the guest ( this fix works in VMware Fusion ) and also tried deleting the NVRAM.dat file from the VM bundle whilst the guest was powered off... but none of this has resolved the issue. I did spot a Parallels KB article for Parallels 5-10 asking users to de-register the VM and re-register it... but this did not prompt me for copying or moving the VM as documented, so I guess is no longer a fix.

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

To get different Hardware UUID-s between VM and its clone: 0) shutdown cloned VM; 1) open in editor config.pvs file inside your cloned VM bundle; 2) modify arbitrary digit in <SourceVmUuid> value; 3) start cloned VM and ensure Hardware UUID has changed.

3. DaveF3

DaveF3 Bit poster

Is there any documentation on the PVS file somewhere? Something that explains the differences between VmUuid, SourceVmUuid, LinkedVmUuid, LinkedSnapshotUuid and ServerUuid?

4. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

> Is there any documentation on the PVS file somewhere? Something that explains the differences between VmUuid, SourceVmUuid, LinkedVmUuid, LinkedSnapshotUuid and ServerUuid?

No. PVS file format doesn't have public documentation.