Boot from Mavericks USB key?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Multi21, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Multi21

Multi21 Bit poster

I have a GM copy of Mavericks in a USB key. I cant get P9 to boot from it at all. On a physical machine it works fine by holding down the ALT key and selecting the USB key as the boot disk but on Parallels I cant get it to work.

ANy ideas?

2. Multi21

Multi21 Bit poster

Anyone - 117 view no replies??

There must be a way to boot from a USB key in a Parallels VM surely?

3. CTGreybeard

CTGreybeard Bit poster

I can get the install started using the InstallESD.dmg from the USB key but I'm not sure it's working. The CPU goes to 100% and nothing appears to be happening beyond that. I'm going to play with it some more later tonight.

4. CTGreybeard

CTGreybeard Bit poster

5. dbourne

dbourne Member

I'm trying to install Mountain Lion. I believe I have a bootable USB drive with the installer but I can't get Parallels (v9.0.23136) to see it. If I open the help for the Configure:Hardware:Boot Order page it shows an option to use an External boot device but this is an option for my blank virtual machine. I'll look further but this thread is about as close as I've seen so far.

Update: I seem to be having some success. I ended up installing from the disk image inside the downloaded Install Mountain Lion app. I think I used the install from disk image option but selected Configure before continuing. Setting the CPU to 2, video ram to 512 Mbytes. Set boot order to DVD/CD. Maybe missing pieces, I tried a few items. Install on the virtual machine hard drive.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013