Any solution to setting up parallels virtual machine that runs OS X 10.10 Yosemite?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Bob12, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Bob12

Bob12 Junior Member

I am running the latest version of Mavericks, and the latest version of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac. And I want to create a Parallels virtual machine (pvm) that will will run Yosemite (OS X 10.10) - that is a Yosemite guest operating system.
    NOTE - this is not about compatibilities between Parallels and Yosemite. Please don't dilute this discussion thread.
    Please don't refer to complex fixes that were developed when Yosemite was in public beta. The other thread on here about Yosemite guest systems is full of that stuff as well as lots of ranting digressions.
    If this can be accomplished by running the Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac, will someone with credentials please state as much?
    Otherwise, here's what I've tried.
    I have created a Mavericks pvm and cannot do the Yosemite update with it because the process hangs in a blue Darwin boot screen, where it is impossible to get Parallels accept the chosen boot volume and initiate start up. This has been repeatedly noted by others.
    I have created bootable volumes that have the Yosemite installer. When booting the Mavericks pvm to these partitions, it leads to the same issue of the blue Darwin boot screen.
    There are variations on this where I get booted to the OS X utilities, which only affords the opportunity to do another install of Mavericks.
    I've created bootable DVDs with the Yosemite installer, and then tried to use these to directly create a Yosemite pvm. The wizard does not recognize these as having a suitable OS on them, and consequently will not proceed with creating the virtual machine, ending in something like a terminal window that shows not suitable boot volume found.
    This is unbelievably aggravating, and frankly a big disappointment that there is no solution yet outlined in the official Parallels documentation.

Todivefor likes this.
  2. Bob12

Bob12 Junior Member

Parallels support did respond to my direct query about this. You can do this with Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac. If others are out there trying this, I'll add one last tip. The only way I could get this to work was to create a Mavericks virtual machine from the boot partition on my MacBook, and then within the virtual Mavericks machine to go to the App Store and down load the Yosemite update. If I had downloaded the Yosemite update on the Mavericks host, and then put it to a USB drive, then the virtual Mavericks machine could not successfully run it. Don't frustrate yourself with the latter approach. I'm not sure if this is a Parallels issue, or some particular encoding that is done by Apple when you retrieve the Yosemite update.

3. Todivefor

Todivefor Member

Bob, in Parallels support response did they tell you that this would not be supported in PD 9? I am wanting to do the same thing to test drive Yosemite. How did you create a PVM from the boot partition?

4. Bob12

Bob12 Junior Member

In Parallels 9, I was able to create the PVM from the boot partition using the usual wizard that Parallels includes. There was a stage in the process where after specifying that you want an OS X PVM you are given the choice to create it from the host boot partition. At this point I can't specifically recall how I did this, but the process worked in Parallels 9 and Parallels 10. But it was only in Parallels 10 that I was able to get the Yosemite updater to run to completion. That said, in Parallels 9 I was always trying to use the Yosemite installer that I had downloaded in my host operating system, then pulling it into the Mavericks guest, an approach that failed when I tried the process using Parallels 10. I don't know if under Parallels 9 the update would work if the Yosemite updater was downloaded by the Mavericks virtual machine.