Accessing Mac volume from MS-DOS guest

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by MacUserFor20yrs, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MacUserFor20yrs

MacUserFor20yrs Bit poster

Hi,

I have MS-DOS 6.22 running in a guest OS however I need to transfer files over to the Mac volume. How do you map a connected Mac volume so that I can access the drive letter from within the MS-DOS OS?

If I can't do that, I need to be able to print - but I suspect that option may be more difficult.

I am using Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac.

Thanks for your help!

Paul.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Stop Virtual Machine and mount drive which which is inside of pvm bundle (right click on it show package contents), it will be mounted on Desktop. open it and copy files

3. MacUserFor20yrs

MacUserFor20yrs Bit poster

John,
    I can now mount the drive and access all the files on my Desktop.
    Many thanks!

4. mvcube

mvcube Member

Here is an interesting article about DOS networking options: http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/samba/dos.html. You might want to try one of the options to get networking in your virtual DOS environment. The main problem is that the DOS lan clients normally need the older NetBEUI protocol, a native NetBIOS implementation which is not based on TCP/IP. The Mac uses Samba which is based on TCPBEUI, the TCP/IP based NetBIOS. They are not interoperable. But you can still have a second virtaul system running Windows for Workgroups or another older Windows version that supports NetBEUI and acts as a bridge between DOS and the Mac.

5. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Thank you for the interesting information, mvcube,

I will let our Developers know about it.

6. mvcube

mvcube Member

In the meantime I was able to setup a DR-DOS VM and install MS LAN client V3 complete with TCP/IP. The client is a memory hog (at least in terms of DOS). I was able to connect to my Windows server. I haven't tried to connect to the Mac host, yet. The download can be found here: http://oldfiles.org.uk/powerload/msdos.htm

Edit: Mapping my mac home folder worked flawlessly. In case of trouble: I've setup bridged networking to allow broadcasts to reach the network.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009