Access/Save Files on Mac HD from Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JosephZ, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JosephZ

JosephZ Bit poster

Hello,

When using Parallels Desktop for Mac, I want to access/save files saved on the Mac HD so that whether I use the windows or mac program (example word) the file is always the same. Right now, I say files on the Windows XP "hard drive".

Please advise.

Joe Z

2. BoilermakerU

BoilermakerU Member

There is a setting to share your Mac drives and folders with the Windows VM. Good luck getting it to work, it's the one thing I absolutely must have (or Parallels is worthless IMO), yet it is the one thing that does not work without jumping through hoops every morning. Maybe you'll have better luck.

3. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello JosephZ,

Please follow the steps provided below:

1) Start Parallels Desktop. Do not start your Virtual Machine or shut it down if it is running.

2) Go to your Virtual Machine's Configuration (http://kb.parallels.com/117287) -> Options -> Sharing and turn ON Shared Profile feature.

3) After enabling the shared profile feature, for example if you use Microsoft word from your Windows VM and try to save the file, choose save as > select My computer (or) This PC > select Home on 'psf' (Z:) (Macintosh HD) browse for a desired folder and save the file. The file will be saved in your Macintosh HD.

Last edited: May 30, 2014