11.0.x Cannot Execute 10.11.x Guests: The virtual machine cannot be started

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GeorgeP5, Oct 27, 2015.

1. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

I am not sure if this is because I have Server installed or what precisely, but it appears that Parallels thinks that I am not running 10.11 as a HOST OS from its message for my 10.11 GUEST:
    [​IMG]

What could be causing this problem? I have been able to run OS X 10.11 (identical Guest image) on another OS X 10.11 workstation, but the main one is giving me fits with the above message.

2. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

3. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

Still having this problem with Parallels 11.1 update!

4. BryanS1

BryanS1 Bit poster

Hi George

seeing as parallels have no interest in helping you
    open terminal and input
    sudo nvram 8BE4DF61-93CA-11d2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent=%80%00

then try again

5. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

Hi @BryanS1, thanks so much for your input! I am curious, that appears to be a similar string to what netkas has posted when I did a search on it, which is fine, but I'd like to understand the particulars if you don't mind? Can you explain what the UUID means and then, more particularly, what the BootCurrent parameter of `%80%00` indicates since I'm seeing other strings with simply a `1` here for the argument?

6. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

So @BryanS1, I was a bit nervous about throwing that command on into my nvram for fear of not knowing what the final args actually are (especially since I'm running a driver that needs to have the kext-dev-mode set on) or I end up having some problems (I run ZFS). I ended up poking about my current values and didn't see anything that this should interfere with so I set it. Unfortunately even after setting this new value, I still didn't see it printed out via the `-p` option... so I certainly want to know even more at this point what this is actually doing and why am not seeing a more verbose list of `nvram` parameters.

But thanks! This does seem to have resolved the issue and I can fire up OS X now in Parallels!

7. BryanS1

BryanS1 Bit poster

Hi George,

It was an obscure tech support article in the parallels help section that had no real relation as i am not running my computer in Guest mode, but obviously parallels thinks that i am for some reason.

Here are the steps to resolution that they suggest. - Only Hard setting the the nvram worked for me.

1. Reset NVRAM, PRAM on Mac as described here: OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer's PRAM

Try to install OS X virtual machine. If the issue still persists:

2. Open the Terminal (Finder/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
    3. Execute the following commands:

nvram 8BE4DF61-93CA-11d2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent

4. If you get this output, than everything is OK with your NVRAM:

8BE4DF61-93CA-11d2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent %80%00 (or %00%00)

5. If you get the following error message, then you need to apply the solution below:

00E098032B8C:BootCurrentnvram: Error getting variable - '8BE4DF61-93CA-11d2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent': (iokit/common) data was not found

The solution is to execute the following command in Terminal:

sudo nvram 8BE4DF61-93CA-11d2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:BootCurrent=%80%00

There is little on offer with regards to why this is the solution, but the article can be found here http://kb.parallels.com/en/122836

8. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

Very interesting, thanks! It did indeed do the trick. Hopefully some day we can learn the details as to WHY!

9. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

10. GeorgeP5

GeorgeP5 Bit poster

Interesting, this issue continues to occur after updates.

11. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Can you create a new Mac admin user, uninstall and reinstall Parallels Desktop from there to check if the issue persists for further analysis and assistance.