Problem when (re)installing parallels tools

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PedroC16, Dec 29, 2023.

1. PedroC16

PedroC16 Bit poster

Hello,
    I have Parallels Desktop 19 installed on an Apple Silicon Mac, and I use several Mac VMs inside. When I firstly created the VMs, I installed parallels tools inside them and it went smoothly. However, after some upgrade (I'm not sure if it was the Mac OS upgrade of the VM or if it was Parallels Desktop upgrade), parallels tools stopped working.
    Then I tried to reinstall it. I noticed that there were no "reinstall parallels tools" option available, because Parallels didn't recognize the existing installation, but rather there was just the "install parallels tools" option. Then I went for it and proceeded with parallels tools installation, and normally rebooted the VM after the installation. The problem is that after rebooting the VM, it is still the same thing, without parallels tools working. Parallels still doesn't recognize the installation. I've tried to repeat the installation procedure several times and always got same result.
    The same behavior is happening among all my Mac vms.
    Detail:
    Host: Mac OS 14.2.1
    Parallels 19.2.1
    VMs: Mac OS 14.2.1
    Architecture: Apple Silicon

ErgunC likes this.
  2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello,
    To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID.
    We will be waiting for your reply.

3. PedroC16

PedroC16 Bit poster

I generated report # 446675380 .
    I tried to install parallels tools, then I pressed reboot button when asked, and then the system started with parallels tools installer screen again.

4. AlexanderG17

AlexanderG17 Bit poster

I'm seeing the same problem.
    Host: MacOS 14.4.1
    Parallels: 19.3.1
    MacOS VM: MacOS 14.4.1
    Apple Silicon M2 Max

Report ID: 458552298

5. ChristophD1

ChristophD1 Bit poster

Same thing here.
    I can not click the Parallels icon to get the technical report since Parallel tools does not start.
    macOS 14.5
    Parallels Desktop 19.4.1

6. ChrisH62

ChrisH62 Bit poster

Set up my first MacOS VM and it went fairly smoothly, but I'm seeing the same thing. Try to install Parallels Tools, it brings up the installer window with the progress bar, gets to the end, queries for reboot, I reboot, and there's nothing installed when I log back in. Looking at the Parallels Tools, I still see the "Install" option, and nothing shows up in the top right status menus area. Searching System Settings for "parallels" results in nothing. Am I missing something? Did it get installed and just doesn't show up?

7. BrianE19

BrianE19

I have the same problem as ChrisH62. MacOS VM never installs the VM Tools. No copy/paste.
    Host:
    • MacBook Pro M1 Max
    • macOS 14.5 (23F79)
    • Parallels version 19.4.1 (54985)
    VM:
    • macOS 14.5 (23F79)
    • Networked via Bridge to "default adapter"
    • Otherwise default settings
    help!

8. AlexanderG17

AlexanderG17 Bit poster

Still having this issue with 14.6.1

9. ChrisH62

ChrisH62 Bit poster

Since it seems like this is the only response we're going to get on the issue, I followed this and the report ID is 466756876.

10. JamesK37

JamesK37 Bit poster

I thought I had the same problem, I installed Parallels Tools and it prompted me to reboot. After rebooting, I noticed "Install Parallels Tools" was not grayed out, and it never said "Reinstall Parallels Tools," (like I think it does in Windows,) so it appears as though it hasn't been installed; but it has. Just close down the VM, click on the gear in the "Control Center," the "configuration" window will open. Click on "Options," "Sharing," and put a check in "Share custom Mac folders with MacOS", check on "Manage folders..." and add the files, folders or drives you want to share.

Hope that helps!

AlexanderG17 likes this.