Preview only shows blank windows on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) VM.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by warnergt, Sep 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. warnergt

warnergt Member

I have a MacOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard Server) VM running with Parallels 19.0.0 on a MacOS 13.5.1 (Ventura) Mac Pro 2019.
    If I double-click on an image file (e.g. ".jpg"). It opens in Preview but I get a totally white window.
    This problem is not new to Parallels 19; I have it for quite some time.
    Pretty much everything else seems to work fine.
    Why doesn't Preview work?

2. LiamD5

LiamD5 Bit poster

I understand you are seeing a problem opening certain JPEGs in Preview on your Parallels virtual machine running Snow Leopard. To troubleshoot further, you asked about trying to open one of the problematic JPEGs in Graphic Converter on the virtual machine.

Testing the image in a different application like Graphic Converter is a good idea to see if the issue is specifically with Preview or something more system-wide. If the JPEG also displays incorrectly or fails to open in Graphic Converter, then it likely points to a more general display problem with how the virtual machine is handling the JPEG image format.

3. warnergt

warnergt Member

I can open and view the images with Photoshop on this MacOS 10.6.8 VM.

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I see the same issue in 10.6.8 (not server) running on a 2016 Mac (Skylake CPU), Parallels Desktop Version 19.0.0 (54570), open a screen shot (a png file) created in the VM. Preview.app shows a blank window for the png file. Preview.app is able to view pdfs though. The png file can be opened by GraphicConverter.app 8.8.3.

5. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

6. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Are you saying you can't reproduce the problem yourself? Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server 10.6.x is one of the supported guest OSs. Boot it, press Command-Shift-3 to create a screenshot png on the desktop, open the screenshot png in Preview.app.

warnergt likes this.
  8. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

The problem doesn't appear in 10.5.8 or 10.7.5.
    In 10.6.8, the image appears in the Preview.app sidebar but not in the main area. Preview.app crashes if I reduce the window size sufficiently.

warnergt likes this.
  9. warnergt

warnergt Member

Thanks, joevt. Even I had not noticed that, if you open multiple images with Preview, you can see them in the sidebar while the main window pane is all white.