Convert a Physical Mac into a VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RandolphR, Jun 12, 2016.

1. RandolphR

RandolphR Bit poster

I have an external, bootable USB drive with OSX 11.5 installed and would like to convert it to a VM on my Macbook... I use the drive as a development environment and want it now to be a VM on my Macbook rather than on an external drive. How would I do this (I know this can be done in Fusion)?

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @RandolphR,
    If this is a USB installation media, you could create the VM as mentioned in this article.
    or
    If this is a portable OS (like Windows-to-go), try installing the Parallels Desktop on this OS X and create the VM from recovery partition.
    Let us know if you have a different requirement.

3. MaxP17

MaxP17 Bit poster

Hello Sasti,

I need to make a paralel vm from a macOS partition that I already on my system, how do I do that?
    Your help is greatly appriciated. Thanks!

This is Max.

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello Max,
    Unfortunately, host macOS cannot be converted into Parallels Virtual Machines.
    Kindly find below the Supported OS (Windows): Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 *
    Please refer to this link for more information: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/resources/#movingpc
    Thank you.

5. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Can you not simply point the VM's installer (mid-installation process) to a Time Machine backup? Even if you have to do it as a manual installation?

6. JohnneyL

JohnneyL Bit poster

Hello, Aries i think I have a solution to your problem few days ago i also faced the same issue.