Any fixes for the networking problem with Guest MacOSx VMs and networking?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RodgerB1, Jun 27, 2023.

1. RodgerB1

RodgerB1 Junior Member

It's been about 15 months since my initial inquiry, and am still not able to use SHARED NETWORKING mode on any macOS VM.

I have applied all updates and new versions since then and still, zero ability to enable shared mode with any successful packet routing.

I sort of can't believe there has been zero improvements in the capabilities for Mac VMs since I started using this on my M1 based mac in January of 2022. 18 months, and still no snapshots, or right-click edit settings menu?

original post

2. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

As for the issue with the shared network mode:

1. Reproduce the issue.

2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide its 9-digit ID here.

As for the macVM snapshots, this feature has only been introduced in the latest Apple framework together with Sonoma macOS.

As for right-click control of the virtual machine, this option has not yet been introduced in the Apple framework.

Please note that, in contrast to the regular Parallels virtual machines, macOS ARM virtual machines (that run on Mac computers with Apple M1 Chip) are built using Apple's Virtualization framework (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization), and they are currently quite limited in their functionality (see http://kb.parallels.com/125561 -- see "Known issues and limitations").

Our Development Team is working together with Apple to expand the functionality of these virtual machines.

We advise you to subscribe to this article http://kb.parallels.com/125561 ("Get Updates" button) to get informed once there are any updates on this.

Torrei likes this.
  3. RodgerB1

RodgerB1 Junior Member

@Pavel Merkulov this is great thanks! I see you updated the methodology of changing between BRIDGE and SHARED mode by using the CLI vs the config.ini.
    So now I can switch to bridge mode, but when I switch to SHARED mode the default DNS server is 192.168.64.1, which I assume is an internal IP for the parallels install itself on my host machine. This will NOT resolve DNS, so i am forced to set DNS to 1.1.1, 4.2.2.2, 8.8.8.8, etc. Which sounds like no big deal, but when I have MFA enabled on the guest OS (one of the features my company provides) I am unable to login to set the DNS server.

I want to know if there is some way to reset whatever networking interfaces or DS forwarders are setup upon initial configuration on my host m1 mac?

Report ID is; 429421944

4. ErikP5

ErikP5 Bit poster

1. Try to use Terminal app and type the following command:
    sudo networksetup -setdnsservers Wi-Fi 8.8.8.8 8.