Issues with macOS VM on Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by jasimon9, May 21, 2023.

1. jasimon9

jasimon9 Member

I found the article at https://kb.parallels.com/128867 very helpful in explaining some issues I am having, in particular that I have described in my update from yesterday at https://forum.parallels.com/threads/cannot-recreate-guest-macos-vm-with-clone-of-my-macos-workstation.349736. The KB article explains that USB devices cannot be attached, which explains the issues I was describing on that thread.

However, I have found two additional issues:
    1. I tried registering the macOS vm to get the Configure options as described the the KB article above. It says that it is already registered, yet there is no "second VM with the Configure gear" showing. Here is what I get:

jas@iMac4 ~ % prlctl register /Users/jas/Virtual\ Machines/macOS\ 12.macvm
      Register the VM...
      Failed to register the VM: "macOS 12" is already registered. You cannot register a virtual machine more than once.
      jas@iMac4 ~ %
    2. I had created the macOS VM by installing the version available in the Parallels Installation Assistant > Free Systems > Download macOS. I wanted to test updating the 12.6 version of the OS to 12.6.6. I tried twice. Each time, the full upgrade ran as expected. However, when the VM restarted, it was still at 12.6. Is this a bug or a feature? That is, can the downloaded 12.6 be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey.

2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

They aren't using the same name by chance are they?

3. FrankZ6

FrankZ6 Bit poster

I have the same issues with 12.6.6 on parallels 18.3.0. Always the same version after a complete upgrade.

I tried this before upgrading the host to 12.6.6 and after I upgraded the host itself successfully to 12.6.6. But no luck.
    So must be an issue with the parallels version.
    I am on M1

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    This is a known issue, our development team is currently working on it.

To proceed with further investigation on this issue, we would require the below details:
    1. Collect a technical report and send us the 9-digit number by replying to this post:
    Click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.
    You may refer to this KB article for more information: https://kb.parallels.com/9058

2. Generate a System Report from your Mac device itself.
    You may proceed using the below steps:
    • Click on the Apple logo on the top left of your screen.
    • Click on About this Mac.
    • Click on More Info...
    • Scroll to the bottom of the System Preference pane and you will find System Report.
    • Click on System Report and it will open a new window.
    • Then on the top left of your screen, besides System Information, click on File > Save > Save it to a suitable location.

3. Retrieve a "Sysdiagnose" file using the below steps:
    • Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and execute the following command:
      sudo sysdiagnose -f ~/Desktop/
      (You will need to enter your Mac password to run the command. No symbols will be shown due to security measures, so just hit the keys and use Return/Enter.)
      "Sysdiagnose" file will appear on your Desktop. Upload the Sysdiagnose file and the System Report file to a file sharing and share the link with us.

Thank you.

5. FrankZ6

FrankZ6 Bit poster

6. FrankZ6

FrankZ6 Bit poster