Anti virus on mac?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by susanm3, Nov 7, 2020.

1. susanm3

susanm3 Bit poster

Hey people,
    new to mac. Been using WIndows for the last 11 years and thought of giving a shot.
    First of all, it's pretty awesome to make a switch. secondly, it's kind of hard to use it until you get used to it.
    OK, my question is, what antivirus shall i go for? I'm planning to get a Kaspersky internet security. Any suggestions? Tip, may be???

2. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Problem solver

Hello, Kaspersky internet security is a good choice..
    (Honestly, I had no issue with it ) but maybe someone else will share another experience.

3. kpluck

kpluck Junior Member

Speaking for myself, I have never run any av software on a Mac I have owned or managed and I haven't been running any on my Windows 10 machine either. I have never had an infection on any machine I have been responsible for. Most infections originate with a user doing something they shouldn't have.

However, if I were thinking about going with some av software I would probably look at Kaspersky or possibly Malwarebytes. You might also consider making your day to day macOS user account a standard account and make a separate admin account for software installs/updates.

Another possibility is to use Parallels to make a virtual machine specifically to use for web browsing and email. You could use any OS you like for the VM; macOS, Windows or Linux. An infection, should it happen, would more than likely be stuck inside the VM with such a setup.

-kp