Cannot install El Capitan under Parallels desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EricK5, May 17, 2016.

1. EricK5

EricK5 Bit poster

I cannot install El Capitan as a VM under Parallels Desktop 11.2 (32581). I tried following all of the steps inside Parallels to no avail. So then I did some research and tried this:

http://www.lostentropy.com/2015/06/10/installing-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-inside-parallels-desktop/

That did not work. I got screens 2 and 3 below. So I did some more reading

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-boot-failed-efi-dvd-cdrom.329110/
    and this
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/el-capitan-on-parallels-11.329397/#post-776998

But none of this helps or fixes the problem. By adding the line vm.bios.efi=0 to my Boot flags, it gets rid of the errors on screens (2) and (3) but now I get a flash of text (<1second flicker that I recorded with video and located the frame. see Screen 1) and then a black screen with nothing. It just sits there. I also disabled USB 3.0 support as suggested in another thread. No change.

Reading the articles and the date they were written, it sure sounded like this was a known issue on the to fix list last year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should try?

Screen 1 (snapshot of video recording of boot process error)

Error on boot.png

Screen 2
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 4.51.36 PM.png

Screen 3
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 4.50.50 PM.png

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Please remove the flag "vm.bios.efi=0"; El Capitan will not work with this system flag.
    The article on lostentropy is rather weird.. things are much simplier (if all works as expected). Generally, you need
    1) In the menu "File" choose "New". The wizard will appear. Choose the icon "Install windows or other os..".
    2) In next step it is possible to select the Install.app of OSX. Press "Locate manually". Then drag and drop the Install.app to the screen. Wizard should detect that it is an osx-installation.

3. vineet

vineet Bit poster

Dear Sir
    This is reference to our recent purchase of "Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Upgrade" vide cleverbridge reference no. 90971719 dated 28.04.16
    We are having Apple iMac in our office & that time we had purchased Parallels 8 at time
    But know as we are updating our Mac OS we are not able to work on Windows in Parallels 8, it is saying that we should upgrade the higher version of Parallels
    So, we had purchased Parallels 11 upgrade pack from your site online
    But when we had downloaded this upgrade pack it is saying it can only be upgraded if we have Parallels 9 minimum
    Please help us, give us the solution for this issue either give us Parallels 8 to Parallels 9 upgrade pack or give us full Parallels 11 pack,

4. EricK5

EricK5 Bit poster

If I remove the flag "vm.bios.efi=0", then I get screen 3 followed by screen 2. If I follow your instructions using the wizard, I get the exact same problem. That was the first thing I tried many times before going off to lostentropy's post. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you explain screen 1? That's also a screen I get when I follow the wizard inside of Parallels.