(very) Old Parallels VM Memory Dump file: needed?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by UserofParallels, May 14, 2016.

1. UserofParallels

UserofParallels Bit poster

I've been a Parallels user since 2008. Today, while clearing out large files to retrieve disk space, I found a 538MB Parallels VM Memory Dump file from 2008. Created and modified dates are both 2008. My question is, can this be trashed? It appears to be old and unused...and trashable. Unless it does get use, but the date just doesn't get modified...

The file is in my Parallels XP folder (I don't use XP much) but I also run a newer version of Windows. I need to keep the two Windows machines separate.

I've searched the forums and the the wider 'net and haven't found an answer to this.

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi, could you share a screenshot of the dump file that you are referring to? We will check and let you know!

3. UserofParallels

What exactly do you want a screenshot of? BTW, the correct file name is "Microsoft Windows XP.mem" found at /Users/[me]/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP. "Parallels VM Memory Dump" is the file kind.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi, could you please check the extension of the file by clicking on the file > properties. If it is .dmp file, you can delete it to free up space.
    Before deleting we recommend you to take a Snapshot of Windows virtual machine.

5. UserofParallels

Hi, Arun. In OS X...no Properties tab. The file name is in my previous post, "Microsoft Windows XP.mem". Here is the Info box for the file:

Attached Files:

6. UserofParallels

Anything further on this? I'd like to grab that 537MB back if the file is disposable.

7. UserofParallels

8. UserofParallels

Seems Arun is out of order. ;)

Can someone else from Parallels check on on this? Thnx

9. UserofParallels

*bump*

Hoping for help...

10. UserofParallels

Manoj@Parallels Dinesh@Parallels PaulChris@Parallels Maria@Parallels

All of you have been active on the forum over the last few days. Can someone please respond to this? Thanks.

11. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hi,
    You can move that file to the trash. It's a file containing memory dump for the suspended virtual machine. For a running virtual machine, it is a temporary virtual memory file.

12. UserofParallels

That is the answer I was hoping for. Thanks, Dinesh!

13. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hi,
    You're very welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime, we're here to help.