How to boot a Mac OS 10.10 instance from another machine into Parallels 10 VM with TDM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Eike Reinel, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Eike Reinel

Eike Reinel Bit poster

Hi,

I want to boot a Parallels 10 VM (running 10.10) from another physical machine also running Mac OS 10.10 using Target Disc Mode (TDM).

Usually you have to press "alt" during boot of the host machine to select the TDM machine for booting up. With my Parallels VM this doesn't work. It ignores the pressed "alt" key and boots normally.

Does anyone have a solution to boot a VM using TDM? Does this work?

Background:
    I am using a private Mac Pro with 6 cores and 64 GB and a Mac Book Air for work and I want to run the private and the work OS in parallel on the same hardware.

2. Eike Reinel

Eike Reinel Bit poster

Seems like nobody is using Parallels combined with the Target Disk Mode? :rolleyes:
    Perhaps someone from Parallels can tell me, if it is possible to access physical disks to boot a VM from? ;)

3. Eike Reinel

Eike Reinel Bit poster

Especially physical disks inside other Macs connected by Thunderbolt ;-)

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You cannot boot a real OS X partition (in this case via TDM) as a virtual disk in Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    You would need to mirror the contents of the real partition to a virtual disk first.

5. Eike Reinel

Eike Reinel Bit poster

Thank you for your answer. Too bad... This would be a great feature (to use multiple Macs on one powerful hardware like the Mac Pro).

VEDRINEN likes this.